Estimates are for one round of work, and we will bill hourly for any and all tasks we do.
Based on what is known at the time of the estimate (known tasks), a certain number of hours is calculated for one round of defined, specific services. This estimated number of hours is then multiplied by our hourly rate.
Additional rounds (unknown tasks) will be estimated when they are known. These unknown tasks may include additional rounds of copyediting, additional design proofs, items that are not known at the time of the original estimate, and/or services that you've not yet selected.
Preapproval and prepayment
All services are preapproved and prepaid, and we must receive payment before work can begin.
You may prepay the estimate in full or prepay any number of hours at a time.
If you choose a partial prepayment, we will let you know when those hours have been used, and then ask you for another prepayment amount of your choice to keep your project moving forward.
Credit card: An invoice will be sent to your e-mail address, and you may use either PayPal or another major credit card to pay online. Please note that half of the credit card fees will be added to your invoice if you choose this prepayment option.
Personal check:If you prefer to pay by check (payable to BACKSPACE INK), deduct the credit card fees and mail it to the address listed on the invoice.
The estimate process
• Call 650.355.4640 or e-mail to tell us about the particulars of your book project. A short phone discussion and/or a few preliminary e-mail exchanges as well as all estimates are complimentary.
• Send us your manuscript via e-mail attachment or other file transmission.
• The estimate will be based on knowledge of the project at that time (known tasks).
• We will be happy to prepare a one-page copyediting sample at no charge; more extensive copyediting samples will be estimated and prepaid.
• If the estimate accurately describes the requested known services, please follow our e-mail directions for your approval.
• Once we receive your prepayment, the e-mail approval of the estimate, and the final version of your manuscript, we will begin your book project!
If, at the end of the project, the time spent is less than what we estimated, you will receive an immediate refund of the difference, or you can apply the difference to other services.
If we anticipate needing more time than what we estimated,we will let you know as soon as we can tell that the time is going to go over, so you can decide whether you want to continue.
If tasks are added, or the scope of work has changed, you may request additional complimentary estimates at any time.
Discontinuing our services
If you wish to discontinue our services at any point during the project, you will receive an immediate refund for the unused prepaid hours.